Wednesday, November 21, 2018

I Have Been AWOL Too Long!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

Its been a challenging year at work and in our personal lives that required a break from posting.
The growing season came and went with only a fraction of yield I usually receive from a season, but sanity and less stress was diagnosed.

As we move into the holiday season though, my love for food and celebrating what comes from mother nature and giving thanks for all the blessings we receive here at the farm, I had to post again.

First a diary of the Thanksgiving Meal:
Wednesday Night Prep:
Brine Turkey- my 13 lb. turkey is now soaking in a bath of salt water, bourbon and maple syrup.  It will soak until tomorrow morning, absorbing all those luscious juices before cooking.  Then I will drain it, pat it dry and mix melted butter & maple syrup and spread it under the skin, over the breast of the turkey.  I will also add a basket weave blanket of apple smoked bacon across the top of the breast so it doesn't burn.  Then bast it with melted butter and bourbon all through the roasting process.  Yes, it tastes heavenly!!!!  The gravy made from the juices is packed with bourbon flavor and I add whole sweet potatoes to the roasting pan, just 45 minutes before the turkey is done. Bourbon butter sweet potatoes! Yummy!

Tonight I will also make our new favorite pies, straight from our own harvest of pears and pecans.
The first pie is Cranberry Pear Pie!  If you haven't tried it, it have tested it against my favorite apple pie and my family likes the cranberry pear pie the best.  The next pie is the Maple Pecan! (do you see a pattern here?  With a former Canadian husband (still my husband, but a new American citizen) we must use Maple Syrup on as much food as possible at the holidays!

Always a busy day before Thanksgiving.  I am now drawn back to the kitchen where my giblet stock is cooking and smells like its done. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment