Thursday, March 5, 2020

Growing again but in the Southwest!



Writing from our new home in Phoenix Arizona, very close to the South Mountain Preserve Park.
After 6 months of completing all the updates and renovations on our very modern farm house, we sold it to a younger couple, who hopefully can handle all the farm work and we moved to Arizona in August 2019.

The photo is of  the terrain we now see out our windows everyday.  The sun rises and sets with a display of purple, pink and blue that is just breath-taking.

On December 17th, 2019 I actually planted my first garden beds of Swiss Chard, Kale, Radishes. lettuce and herbs. The raised beds are on the shady side of the house, so hopefully I will get a yield for more months than on the sunny side of the house.  The thought that you can plant all year is just astounding to a former "northerner".
On February 16, 2020 I planted the summer garden on the south side of the house.  Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Peas, Spaghetti Squash, Zucchini  and two kinds of beans, Long Beans and Blue Lakes were added.  In just one week they all sprouted ad are doing quite well.  We also planted our banana tree in the ground after living in a monstrous pot for 10 years, and a mandarin orange tree.

I'll be adding recipes occasionally, as I learn what's available in plenty and as my garden matures.

Until then, it is now March 5th and I am enjoying the 80+ temperature today.  Might stick my feet in the pool when I get home!  My favorite location for happy hour is by the pool!

Growing again but in the Southwest!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear you are settling well into your new spot. Do you plan on getting some orange trees?

    ReplyDelete